Using Science to Help Improve Meaning & Purpose
The objective of the course is to convey specific strategies to build a meaningful workplace with a sense of purpose. Any participant should be able to take this information and, whether on the individual level, team or divisional level, institute changes in their workplace conducive to developing a deeper sense of meaning and purpose.
Length: 1 hour
Format: Instructor facilitated self study
Access information: Course access granted at the beginning of each week.
This course will first evaluate the current sense of meaning and purpose among participants using a science-based questionnaire developed by Dr. Gleb Tsipursky. Next, it will provide an overview of the science on meaning and purpose, and how it applies in the workplace. It will then offer specific strategies to cultivate a rich sense of meaning and purpose in their workplace.
Research shows that a workplace that cultivates a sense of meaning and purpose benefits both employees and employers. Employees who experience a greater sense of meaning and purpose in their work context enjoy better health and well-being. They have a significant decrease in physical ailments including catastrophic ones such as strokes and heart attacks, and a lower incidence of mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety. Consequently, they take many fewer sick days and have higher work capacity. As a result, employee work performance improves, and there is significantly less employee turnover.
Additionally, employees working with a sense of purpose experience a greater integration into their individual teams as well as the culture of the organization. Thus, employees show better teamwork, reduced team conflict, improved team communication, as well as becoming better organizational citizens and aligning with the higher-level goals of the organization.
• How one can evaluate one’s current sense of meaning and purpose in their work
• The science of meaning and purpose
• The application of the science of meaning and purpose to the workplace
• How well-known and high-performing companies develop a meaningful workplace
• What are specific strategies that individual employees can use to cultivate a rich sense of meaning and purpose in their workplace
• How teams within an organization can create an environment conducive to building a rich sense of meaning and purpose
• How an organization can institute a sense of meaning and purpose throughout its organizational culture
• How to more effectively coach executives on corporate culture
• How to promote a more positive organizational culture
• How to improve employee involvement strategies through meaning and purpose as a non-monetary reward
Who should take this course?
- Human Resources Professionals (HRCI, SHRM, AHRI, CHRP, CHRL, CHRE)
- Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP)
- Life Coaches and Conflict Coaches (ICF)
- Certified Legal Managers (CLM)
Continuing Education Credit: 1 hour
You can select an HRCI and SHRM certificate. If you would like to self certify this course for continuing education self study credit for CHRP, HRPA, AHRI, IDC, ICF, CLM or CPLP credit, select the general certificate option. See our certifications page for more information.
This is a 1 hour online program. You can study at your own pace but still have access to the instructor to ask questions, interact with your fellow students and more. All participants will be required to take an online test to receive their certificate of completion. You will have one week from the start of the course to complete these materials.
To participate in this course you will need Internet access and the ability to view youtube style videos. The course will work on home computers and tablets such as the iPad.
“Very informational and good sound advice.” – Janet Aquino
“The course gives realistic approaches to help employees find meaning and purpose in their lives. It has interesting information as well, and a different way of approaching morale. This is also very useful when dealing with the younger generations that are entering the workforce.” – Monica Ruiz
About the Instructor:
Dr. Gleb Tsipursky is a well-known expert on helping people find their meaning and purpose. A tenure-track professor at The Ohio State University, Dr. Tsipursky has conducted much research on meaning and purpose and published in many peer-reviewed venues. He also published a best-selling book for a broad audience, Find Your Purpose Using Science, which conveys science-based strategies for finding meaning and purpose. He is the President of a nonprofit devoted to helping people reach their goals and find their meaning and purpose using science, Intentional Insights. As part of his nonprofit, he has presented his research in many public settings for a broad audience, and has helped many people find their meaning and purpose, including in the workplace. His work is featured in many media channels. He regularly writes for popular venues such as The Huffington Post, Salon, Lifehack, The Plain Dealer.